Monday, February 16, 2015

The Floating City


water, floating city, water taxis, architecture, bridges, venice
water, floating city, canals, architecture, bridges, venice







Talk about a beautiful place! Venice is a city literally built on water. It’s amazing to walk around and imagine how it’s managed to stay afloat all of these years. 

There is a many waterway called the Grand Canal that runs through Venice. It is the major water traffic corridor in the city and it constantly filled with water taxis, gondolas, and water buses. There are large pedestrian bridges that connect the two sides of the city. As you venture out away from the Grand canal, you’ll find more residential areas connected by narrow canals and smaller bridges.

The odd thing about Venice, I don’t think I saw one car. The Grand Canal acts exactly how any road would here in the United States and it is one of the most unique things that I’ve ever seen. Even the police and ambulances come in boat form!








You walk everywhere, which is amazing and really gives you the opportunity to experience everything the city has to offer. Crowded main streets taper off the farther you veer off from them. It can be a very quaint experience and a great way to take in the eerie beauty of the city.


We never asked, but I’m curious, what happens when it floods? Are structures built to withstand that much water? If you can offer some insight, let me know in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. I never thought about what happens when it floods but I'm sure they have some sort of system in place! Great post, hope one day I can visit there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a dreamy and romantic place! I've always wanted to ride one of those boats through the grand canal and rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I can't believe even the ambulances come in boats! I'm putting Venice on my bucket list now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The waterways look so nice! I'd love to visit there in the future.

    ReplyDelete